Wednesday, October 26, 2011

ToL to FoL Part 3 (4)

Congratulations on your new medical clearance!  That means you are one more step closer to securing the ever evasive FAA employment.  This will be a short update as this next step is simple and well, for me at least was a quick turn around.


Once you are medically cleared you are told absolutely nothing about the time frame from clearance to hire.  So go find something to do because as some people have found out, it can be a really long time.  The Firm Offer Letter, or FoL, is the FAA saying congrats, you are hired and will begin to receive a paycheck once you get to the academy.  While it is a very small paycheck, it is still a government paycheck, take it for what its worth.  <--- My attempt at political satire, I know, I failed.


For me, my FoL came unexpectedly sooner than I had ever imagined.  Keep in touch with your HR rep as so to keep interest up and keep a heads up on if there is any information they may need from you about anything.  They are really not obligated to call you to get more info, so if you solicit info they may need, HEY, kudos.  One of my phone calls to my HR rep yielded a place in the hiring line at Memphis Center.  Well she told me that I was number 16 on a list of about 40 and that Memphis was only taking 12 for the entire next fiscal year.
***Side Note***
The FAA operates on fiscal years, if you don't know what that means, LTG or learn to Google.  The Fiscal Year for the FAA is over in October.  Well because the fiscal year for 2011 was almost over at the time I got that information I was disappointed that I would have to stay a truck driver until possibly November 2012 which began the 2013 FY.  So when I get a surprise e-mail on a Tuesday morning saying I have a class date on October 3rd 2011, you would understand when I say I pooped my pants.


Ok now that I have a new pair of knickers, if the ball wasn't rolling fast enough for you, it is now moving at a significant forward velocity, for example, 2.98 x 10^8 m/s.  <----My attempt at nerd satire: Success.  You have been hired by the FAA and they want you down in OKC, Oklahoma City, ASAP-24.  <---My attempt to confuse my acronym deficient mom: Success.  (Means they need you there yesterday, ASAP - 24hours.  Get it? HA!
ANYHOO, hopefully you are not like me and just got hired for a new job and about to quit the old one and have to try explain to the old one that you have to leave without a two week notice and explain to the new one why they just spent time and money training you only to leave. I just said SEEYA! and left without a care in the world.  


Here is my promotion for Kim's Place Okc:  Go there.  No question.  Last 3 classes 100% pass rate for those who stay here.  Kim's Place is a great place to study with like minded individuals who need help just as much as you.  


Now that the housing question is answered, how is the drive down?




NEXT on The Story: Journey to the Crappiest Roads in America (Yes worse than ND)

No comments:

Post a Comment